Home / Forget Me Not

Forget Me Not

Nicole Bachiller

Newton News Editor

7-12-10

“Did you know butterflies are God’s little messengers?” Aunt Cecil asked me.

“I thought that’s what angels are for,” I said.

“Yes, but they are the angels you can see. If you tell a butterfly your deepest wish, it’ll
fly all the way to heaven and tell it to God,” she smiled, “and if you ever need to talk to me, just send me a message via butterfly.”

“Why do you have to leave?” I said, trying to blink back the tears.

Aunt Cecil’s eyes softened as she whispered, “I guess God needs me to go home now.”

As I embraced my aunt, she felt so fragile in my arms. I could see her fading more
everyday, as the cancer mercilessly drained her life. A small part of me hoped that if I held on tight enough, no one—not even God—could take her from me.

Whoever said, “Time heals all wounds,” is a liar. When we are separated from someone
we love, the pain of the loss never truly goes away. Eventually, the wound leaves a scar that will constantly remind us that we have to go through the rest of our lives without the person. But just because the individual is not physically with us now, that does not mean they are completely gone. The best way to express this is a quote from the beloved Disney character, Winnie the Pooh. “If there ever is a moment when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.”

Certain people come into our lives for a reason. Sometimes, they are with us for a brief
moment, but they leave an impact nonetheless. They often teach us lessons we will carry for the rest of eternity and share memories that we never want to forget. It is understandable that their departure can also greatly affect us. However, we will see them again in heaven. When

Jesus talked about his death, he explained in John 16:22, “Therefore you now have sorrow;
but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you.”

“And that’s the way it is…”

Writing this letter has not been easy. I put it off time and again, postponing …