Home / Newton / Cents and Sensibility

Cents and Sensibility

It is often said that knowledge is a gift but do not think for one second it is free. I realized how false that statement was when I saw how expensive tuition fees, books, and supplies are. So unless you have been saving since birth or just recently won the lottery, you most likely will need some sort of financial aid when entering college. Here are a few of my tips that certainly saved me a lot of money:

1: Do NOT Procrastinate. I’ll admit that I sometimes have a problem with time management. It is typical college student behavior to put things off until the last minute. But the one task you cannot afford to be lazy at is getting financial aid. Start early! Admit it. Things are a lot easier when you are not pulling an all-nighter. Remember the deadlines and do not be late! Financial Aid is a pass or fail and the first test is submitting your papers on time.

2. Be nice to the financial aid advisors. Remember they are trying to help and it is not easy when someone is glaring at them when that someone missed the deadlines. Smile and pay attention to everything your advisor says. Also, do not be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand something. You never know when it could mean the difference between receiving a scholarship and having to apply for a loan.

3. Go back for a check-up. Financial Aid is a long process and you need to go back to the office every now and then to remind them you still exist and are waiting. There have been numerous of times when I needed to visit the financial aid office to politely remind them to review my documents. Just be patient, but also be determined. Make sure to check your status at least once a week.

Applying for financial aid is a long, tedious and frustrating procedure. I cannot tell you how many times I walked out of the financial aid office in total bewilderment. However, I learned through experience how it literally pays to be diligent, polite, and determined. 

By: Nicole Bachiller

Newton News Editor