Home / CULTURE / “The Hunger Games” leaves you hungry for more

“The Hunger Games” leaves you hungry for more

Two years ago, author Suzanne Collins introduced us to a post-apocalyptic world known as Panem. Set in the ruins of North America are twelve divided districts with the Capitol, the ruthless government, at the center of it all. For years, the Capitol has kept the poverty-stricken areas at its mercy.

One of the cruel tortures is an annual competition called the “Hunger Games”. Every year, each district must send out one boy and one girl to compete in an arena where they fight to the end. The games are broadcasted live throughout Panem. Winning means a life of fame and fortune; losing means no life at all.

After many near-fatal experiences before the Hunger Games, surviving is what sixteen-year-old, Katniss Everdeen does best. She survived the Hunger Games in the first book and conquered them once more in Catching Fire. But can she lead a rebellion to defeat the Capitol and finally end the oppression?

Katniss becomes the face of a movement designed to overthrow the government in the third and final book of the trilogy, Mockingjay. But taking on the role demands her to sacrifice everything—her home, her family, and even herself. Unlike other female counterparts who portray damsels in distress, Katniss Everdeen rises to the challenge and proves to be a strong relentless heroine.

Mockingjay is filled with action and suspense. Each chapter ends with a cliffhanger that makes it almost impossible for the reader to put it down until the very last page is turned. With the fate of a fragile nation in her hands, this sixteen-year-old girl must find a way to eliminate the cruelty and fear the Games have spread. Ladies and gentlemen, let the end of the Hunger Games begin!

By Nicole Bachiller, Newton Managing Editor

Style Spotter!

Fall is here and we are off to a rainy start in the Peach State. …