Home / College Wide / Newton campus cafe scores lowest in health inspection

Newton campus cafe scores lowest in health inspection

With recent recalls in the food industry for salmonella and E.Coli, it is becoming more necessary than ever to keep watch of what one eats.

In comparing health inspection records from Clarkston, Decatur, Dunwoody and Newton campus cafeterias, Newton scored the lowest. The campus received a low B, with eight health code violations. Dunwoody’s cafe took the highest grade, scoring in the mid-90s. The following is a list of each campus and their violations (as quoted from the record), starting with the lowest grade:

• Newton: B—82; date of inspection: 2/23/2010
    • Coke machine nozzles dirty-need to wash, rinse and sanitize.
    • Slicer is dirty-need to wash, rinse and sanitize.
    • Sanitizer weak <100 ppm (QA) in 3 comp sink and 1 spray bottle; must keep at 200 ppm per supplier specs.  
    • Chicken patty and eggs not being hot held properly-must hot hold at 135F or warmer.
    • Sanitizer (QA) in spray bottles over 400 ppm-should be at 200 ppm per supplier specs.
    • Chemicals stored over 3 comp sink-need to store some where else away from food, utensils and food prep areas.
    • Cups used as scoops in 3 diff salt containers-use scoops with handles and keep handle out of food.
    • Styrofoam cups at coffee area and coke dispenser not protected as well as coffee stirs-protect by putting in dispenser, employee handing them out, etc.

The reported added a note indicating food should not be stored in metal cans once opened. These were new violations and corrected on site.

• Clarkston: A—91; date of inspection: 5/11/2010
    • PHF/TCS foods being held cold must be kept at internal temperature of at least 41 degrees. PIC removed PHF/TCS from the sandwich cooler. Instructed to store inside ice (all four sides of container up to the depth of the product in the pan) and remove the grate underneath the tomatoes when put on display for serving to customers.
  • Decatur: A—93; date of inspection: 5/25/2010
    • There was an open employee drink on the food prep counter. Employee cups must have a lid and a straw and should be stored away from business items.
    • Employee wearing jewelry other than a plain ring while preparing food. PIC informed all jewelry must be removed while preparing food; food employees may not wear jewelry including medical information jewelry on their arms and hands, except for a plain wedding band.
    • Wiping cloths were stored on counters. Unable to obtain sanitizer reading from wiping cloth bucket. Add new sanitizer to buckets and place cloths inside.
  • Dunwoody: A—95; date of inspection: 2/24/2010
    • Ice bins, beverage dispensing nozzles and units, cooking oil storage tanks, coffee bean grinders, or water vending equipment not cleaned at a frequency necessary to preclude accumulation of soil or mold.
    • In-use utensils used for moist foods not stored in running water of sufficient velocity to flush particulates to the drain.

All violations were new ones; some were corrected on site.

Editor’s note:

In The Collegian’s first attempt to retrieve a copy of Newton’s health inspection report, campus café manager removed the inspection sheet from the wall and refused visual access to the form. She said to return the next day, as the new inspection was due within the next few days. During the second attempt, the manager complied willfully and provided copies of the previously requested record. Campuscafe’s new district manager Larry Morris did not immediately return calls seeking a comment on any changes planned for the cafe.

The Georgia Department of Community Health Division of Public Health requires all restaurants to display the most current inspection report within 15 feet of the front door and about seven feet from the floor and in an area where it can be read at least one foot away.

By Sabastian Wee, Newton Managing Editor

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …