Home / OPINION / Troubled Waters: Pakistan floods kill 1,500 and counting

Troubled Waters: Pakistan floods kill 1,500 and counting

By: Ashley Thompson
Clarkston Managing Editor

Since late July, the people of Pakistan have been struggling to survive after what is being called a natural disaster “like the world has never seen.” According to CNN, the Pakistani floods have killed around 1,500 people and have left over four million homeless, destroying their economy and their government.
    There is said to be roughly 20 million people in need of food, shelter and medical care. In comparison to the past years’ natural disasters, U.N. Chief Ban Kai-moon says, “That is more than the entire population hit by the Indian Ocean tsunami, the Kashmir earthquake, Cyclone Nargis, and the earthquake in Haiti-combined.”
    According to a recent NY Times article, the biggest concern facing the people of Pakistan is the high risk of water-borne diseases and sickness from failing hygiene. More than 30,000 people are suffering from acute diarrhea and are at risk for malaria, dengue fever, and cholera due to lack of access to clean water and proper sanitation facilities.
    Politics are also playing a part in this tragedy. The Obama administration has taken this chance to clean up their image in Pakistan by providing immediate care to the flood victims in hopes that it will boost their ratings amongst the people. This aid included $10 million in relief money, delivery of 300,000 halal meals, as well as supplies and army helicopters. But, despite efforts from the U. S. and the United Kingdom, these unfortunate events are not expected to end anytime soon.  

Many global citizens are reluctant to send aid money from fear of the Taliban and other extremist groups using this opportunity to seize funds and government control, and water continues to invade Pakistan leaving room for more death, despair, and homelessness. The people however, are standing tall in spite all of this. Through all the suffering and loss they have endured, their biggest hope is to come out on the other side alive.

Here are a few organizations you can lend a helping to: