Home / Alpharetta / Voice of reason

Voice of reason

By: Justin Peek, Contributing Writer

Here’s a little food for your thoughts.  For the past 80 years we have steadily increased our public spending to the level that it has reached today, by both Republicans and Democrats. And what do we have to show for it? The percentages of those who are illiterate, homeless, on public assistance, etc. have not declined over the past 80 years even when we have spent trillions of dollars to fix such issues. And we continue to spend to the tune of RECORD deficits every year.

We have a national debt approaching 14 trillion dollars, and unfunded liabilities like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Prescription Drug Coverage approaching 110 trillion dollars. These facts are indisputable and a part of the public record (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt, & http://usdebtclock.org). So what are we to do when our elected officials, both Republican and Democrat, have been totally negligent and have passed down to us this tremendous bill that our children and their children will have to pay? We do what we can. Just like a Board of Directors who appoints a CEO who is negligent and drives their company into bankruptcy, we VOTE IN NEW MEMBERS to Congress!

The only way to fix the problem of massively accumulated debt is to not spend more than we take in, and the current members of our legislative branch have proven that they can’t do this. For the past 80 years we have piled deficit upon deficit, mortgaging our future and our children’s future, for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this long trend, we are guaranteeing tremendous social, cultural, political, and economic upheavals (some of which, I believe, we are seeing in today’s economy). You and I, as individuals, can live beyond our means through borrowing…. But for only a limited period of time. Why then should we think that COLLECTIVELY, as a nation, we aren’t bound by that same limitation? We must act, and act in the only primitive means we have been afforded. We VOTE. Vote in members to Congress that have Fiscal Responsibility as their running platform.

The government should NOT make laws that affect social change. We are society, and we fix our own problems. Government should only be focused on National Defense, Water and Power distribution, and maintaining public roads (which they have done MISERABLY, just look at our cracked streets and rusted bypasses). Money is made by the TRANSIT of goods and services via roads, communication lines, railways and waterways. There is no other way of creating sustainable markets.

We must vote for fiscal conservatives and social liberals. The government should not care about gay marriage or abortion rights, people have the right to choose the life they wish to lead. But we CANNOT spend money when there is none to spend. The only party in the public arena that comes close to this logical progression is the Libertarian Party. I urge you to vote, but vote informed, DON’T be a sheep following what you have been told by the media, your parents, or party officials. Be knowledgeable. Vote.