Home / College Wide / Candide the Comedy

Candide the Comedy

It was an 18th century musical comedy based on a classic French satire inspired by the philosopher Voltaire. It made its Broadway debut in 1956 with music composed by Leonard Beistein and the playwright was Lillian Hellman. The show was Candide which will soon be staged in the Cole auditorium, Fine Arts Building at the Georgia perimeter college, Clarkston campus. Performances will be Friday-Saturday October 29-30 and November 5-6 at 8pm and Sunday November 7 at 3pm.
Tickets 5$- 20$ (one free ticket w/GPC ID)
Georgia Perimeter College will stage the revised 1974 version of the legendary Broadway musical Candide, adapted by Hugh Wheeler from the 1759 satirical novel by Voltaire.
Candide is a broadly hilarious satire coupled with a light touch of opera. It‘s a story of a young man, Candide, who goes through an avalanche of disasters.  He is expelled from home, drafted into the Bulgarian army, brought before the Spanish inquisition, swindled out of a fortune, shipwrecked on a desert isle, and separated time and time again from his true love Cunegonde. In this narrative, anything that can go wrong, does go wrong, but through it all, Candide remembers the lesson of his dear master, Pangloss: “everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.”
The role of Candide will be played by Chad Dyar, Pangloss by Aaron Gotlieb and Cunégonde by Megan Mashburn. They will be among other actors. The play is directed by Sally J. Roberson, who is the theatre program coordinator of Georgia perimeter, Clarkston campus.  She has also directed other plays in Georgia perimeter college including, the Rocky Horror Show, Arcadia, The Mikado and recently, Sealed for Freshness. The music director is Susan J. McEwen. The play will have a live orchestra composed of Georgia Perimeter College employees, faculty, students and community members.
It’s definitely a must see!

By Josephine Mwawru, Staff Writer

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …