Home / Clarkston / Ping Pong and Pilates

Ping Pong and Pilates

Robert Zellner travels across the country training police and teaching self defense. “He taught a Self Defense class here in the gym last year and now we have him back.” Robert Edwards, Health and Wellness Coordinator, gestures  proudly. That’s right, Zellner is back and teaching a free, co-ed self defense class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 12-1 p.m. in the Clarkston Gym. Show up and learn how to fight back.

The gym also has a Women’s Weight training and Pilates class on Fridays from 6:15-7:15 p.m. Get your tone on quick because this class only lasts until Nov. 5.

But the gym has more to offer than sweaty classes, it also hosts a ping pong game every day in the open corridor. “Mondays and Wednesdays are the best days to come play, but the tables are always available,” Shivam Dubey says as he leans against the trophy wall.  “Six years ago in India I was at the state level for competitive table tennis. I quit playing for a while and lost the touch. I’ve been playing here at GPC for two summers now.”

Anyone can come and play and it only takes two players to get a game together.  The ping pong tables are then pulled out from behind the gym wall and are ready for action.

Rashad Harvy, one of the Recreation Attendants at the Clarkston gym comments that they also have board games for the mental athlete.
Walking into the Clarkston gym on any given day you’ll find new things to do — from weight lifting to ping pong and board games, the gym’s got it all.

By:Ashley Cummins, Editor-in-Chief

Library facelift at GPC Clarkston

The construction work going on around the GPC Clarkston campus caused much chagrin to many …