Home / College Wide / The Collegian wins 11 GCPA awards

The Collegian wins 11 GCPA awards

The Collegian displaying several awards, including first place in general excellence, at the Georgia College Press Assocation award's luncheon on Feb. 5. (Front row from left to right) Adam Waldorf, Sabastian Wee, and Ashely Cummins. (Middle row from left to right) Randy Schafer, Phebe Dowels, Antonio Garay. (Back row from left to right) Hilary Coles, Advisor David Simpson, Mike Eden.

By: Phebe Dowels, Collegian Beet Executive Producer

The Collegian was named best student newspaper at a Georgia two-year college, winning a total of 11 awards from the Georgia College Press Association on Feb. 5.

The 2010 GCPA Better Newspaper Contest Awards was held at the Classic Center in Athens. The competition consisted of all two-year institutions in Georgia and was judged by professional reporters and editors of the Georgia Press Association.

The Collegian garnered seven first-place, two second-place and two third-place awards. The student newspaper was awarded first place for its investigative work on SGA’s open meetings and photo coverage of GPC’s 2010 Homecoming. Their website also took home the top prize among two-year colleges.

The Collegian won the following awards:
GENERAL EXCELLENCE:
1st Place – The Collegian
Best Web site:
1st Place – The Collegian (www.collegiannews.com)
Layout and Design Excellence:
1st Place – The Collegian
General Advertising Excellence:
1st Place – The Collegian
Best News Article Based on Investigating Reporting:
1st Place – Sabastian Wee, Adam Waldorf, Hilary Coles, Melissa Wong, Ariel Cohen, Antonio Garay
Best Photo Essay:
1st Place – Mike Eden
Best Editorial or Feature Photograph:
1st Place – Hilary Coles
General Photography Excellence:
2nd Place – The Collegian
Best Column:
2nd Place – Zoe Packman
Best Campus Community Service—Editorial:
3rd Place – The Collegian
Best Campus Community Service—News:
3rd Place – The Collegian

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …

• Gu

I can agree that the paper actually looks “better” but the content really still isn’t up to par. There is SO MUCH going on here at GPC and yet the most important and useful things that are happening still is not being covered.

As well the points of view are not balanced and impartial. Reminds me about the GPC customer service award…..

• Betsy

Congratulations on your fine work from a former college newspaper editor and latter GPC employee!

• Anita Canada-Egwim

I absolutely agree with the judges! The paper has looks polished, reads well, has variety, has great commentary, bold and meaningful headlines, thoughtful writing, and more … it has come a long way. As a staff member and former journalist, I look forward to reading The Collegian. Congratulations!

• Anita Canada-Egwim

Oops, sorry for the typo!