Home / College Wide / FrontPage / Men’s basketball going to semifinals

Men’s basketball going to semifinals

The GPC men’s basketball team defeated the South Georgia Technical College Jets in a heated first round game, by a score of 81 to 74 Tuesday, March 1, at the Region 17 tournament at Decatur campus.

The Jaguars led the game by two points at the first half, 42 to 40, and in the second half they led in scoring by five points with 39 to the SGTC’s 30.

Musa Abdul-Aleem led the Jaguars in scoring with 23 points and teammate Jarrett Stokes, followed closely with 18 points.  Both players hit all of their free throws and had two assists each.

“The coaches did a great job coaching and I believe our teammates came through.  For the most part team effort always wins the ball game,” said Abdul-Aleem.  “We are looking to go into the next game with strong energy and enthusiasm… We have a lot riding on this.”

Abdul-Aleem seemed to be nursing a shoulder injury towards the end of the game, and was holding it after the game was over.  No official statements have been made at this time.

Demario Fountain of the SGTC Jets led his team with 21 points and Khiry White scored the second highest on his team, with 16 points.

The Jaguars have advanced to the semifinals on Friday, March 4.  If they win that round, they will advance to the championship game on Saturday.

“We know what we have to do.  This next game isn’t really about X’s and O’s, it’s about who wants it the most.  That first round tournament is the most important and now we plan to go the championship,” said Coach Alfred Barney.

By: Randy Schafer, Dunwoody News editor