Home / College Wide / Building true leadership

Building true leadership

By Ricky Riley and Kavin Caruso – Collegian Staff

TRIO Student Support Services and Leadership Academy offers counseling services, tutorial support, academic advisement and transfer assistance, financial aid and a technology to-go program for GPC students on Clarkston and Decatur campuses.
The Leadership program is primarily aimed at African-American males. “Students will have mentors from GPC staff that will help them with adjusting to college life,” said program coordinator Sarah Vaughan.

The program will allow black males to get guidance with their studies and serve the community. The Academy provides structured learning experiences and assigns tutors for help in writing, reading, math and critical thinking skills.
The Trio SSS is an added component that helps first-generation and low-income students get through college. It is open to all students.
This program allows students to use laptops, calculators and other technology for their education. Students who qualify can get the SSS Supplemental Grant to help with college expenses. Students can benefit from its resources like workshops and networking.
Students will get exposed to cultural and educational excursions, different kinds of theater performances, musical concerts and museums.
“The Academy is also working with the History and Politics Club, Students of Caribbean Ancestry, Japan Society, Vietnamese Club, African Club and others to host R.A.C.E.,” said Vaughan. “This will be an open discussion that will focus on racial differences and similarities people share. It will be hosted on April 19th on Clarkston campus”’
The Leadership Academy and Trio SSS offer Academic Advisement and Transfer Assistance, which helps students transfer to a 4-year college. Counselors will help students decide what schools will fit their degree and will assist in sponsoring trips to the universities for students. Trips to Vanderbilt and Tennessee State University are currently scheduled for April 8 and Southern Polytechnic University on April 29.
For more info on these two programs contact Sarah Vaughan at (678)891-3737.

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …