Home / NEWS / Japan Club seeks aid, relief for Japan

Japan Club seeks aid, relief for Japan

Photo courtesy of Japanese Red Cross Society

By Randy Schafer – Associate Editor

In response to the recent disaster in Japan, the Dunwoody Japan Club has organized an Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fundraiser to help the victims across the globe.
“Seeing the disaster unfold in front of us and being people that love the Japanese culture, we couldn’t just stand back and watch,” said Japan Club President Erich Schuler. “We want to stand up and help Japan at this time of need.”
They will have a booth set up to accept donations in the Dunwoody Student Center from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday and Wednesday until April 7.
The donations are being allocated to Direct Relief International, who is working with the Japanese American Citizens League. According to the Japan Club, 100 percent of funds received will be used exclusively for programmatic activities related to Japan.
The funds will go to search-and-rescue and emergency medical services to treat widespread injuries and aid the overwhelmed medical systems in Japan.
Due to the initial damage of the earthquake and the water damage of the tsunami, the people of Japan are in need of money for shelter, food, water, and medicine.
“As the Japanese Club, it is our privilege and duty to act as the outlet for Japanese advocacy,” said club member Akiva Blaut.
The Japan Club is also making 1,000 paper cranes in support of the disaster. According to an ancient Japanese legend, whoever folds 1,000 cranes will be granted one wish. The Japan Club plans to use their wish to aid the victims of the disaster.