Home / Decatur / Seeing a green future

Seeing a green future

By Antonio Garay – Campus News Editor

Innovative ideas like expanding the bicentennial garden, adding more recycling bins, and incorporating more solar power lights were all discussed at the Sustainable Living/Environment Studies meeting.
Notable guests at the open forum were GPC President Dr. Anthony Tricoli, Interim Dean Alan Jackson and Executive Director of Atlanta Civic Engagement Dr. Sean Brumfield.
Tricoli emphasized the significance of “sustainability” to the audience of faculty members and students.
“Our goal is to not have students who just graduate but to also have students who become excellent citizens in the community” said President Tricoli. “We have done a couple of civic engagement projects but we need to do a lot more.”
According to Dr. Sean Brumfield, DeKalb County wants to be the most recycled county in the nation but to do that it’s going to take every individual to work together in unison to achieve that.
Tricoli also discussed the possibility of adding a new career major named “Business Sustainability.” The major will be composed of business and psychology related classes.
Currently, the only state offering this major is Iowa.
In celebration of Earth Day, Brumfield announced that Global Youth Service Day is scheduled to be from April 15-16 with various events across all campuses.

GPC Decatur Garden, Photo by Sammy Lyons.

Decatur Garden serves students and community

The community garden on the Decatur campus is a positive place that can help the …