Home / CULTURE / Box office {summer ‘11}

Box office {summer ‘11}

By Martina Shaw – Dunwoody Life Editor

Paramount Pictures appears to be poised to dominate the box office this summer with the release of not only the comic book hero films “Thor” in May, and “Captain America: The First Avenger” in July, but also the highly anticipated “Kung Fu Panda” and “Transformers” sequels.
I wouldn’t, however, count War-ner Bros. out as they may be a viable contender for Paramount with the release of their sequel to summer 2009 hit “The Hangover” in May, their comic book superhero movie, “Green Lantern” in June, and the long awaited final chapter of the “Harry Potter” series in July. Walt Disney Studios may have a few tricks up their sleeve as well, with the release of the next installment in their “Pirates of the Caribbean” series in May and the sequel to their 2006 release, “Cars”. Universal is hoping to get an early start on summer with the release of their action-packed “Fast
Five” later this month. The studio will follow that up with the comedy “Bridesmaids” in May and romantic comedy “Larry Crowne,” starring Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks; and also action thriller “Cowboys and Aliens,”starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, in July. Sony Pictures is slated to release films such as “Friends with Benefits,” “Priest,” “Zookeeper,” and a modern day 3D film adaptation of the 1980s cartoon the “Smurfs.” Fox Studios is hoping to draw in a crowd this summer with releases such as “Monte Carlo” and “X-men: First Class,” a film meant to provide back story for fans of the X-men series

What to see and what to miss
My ‘must-see’ list includes:
1. The Hangover, Part II:
It may not be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture, but it will definitely be worth seeing for the comedy and antics that will inevitably ensue with the entire original cast returning and a few special guest stars along for the ride.
2. Kung Fu Panda 2:
If this animated sequel is half as funny and action-packed as the first film then it will be well worth the $11.
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,
Part II:
I may be biased when it comes to the “Harry Potter” series, I am a die-hard Potter fan, having read all the books and seen all the films. It will be interesting to see how they end the series and if fans
such as myself will approve.
4. Captain America: The First Avenger:
This film has it all, action, adventure and eye candy in the form of Chris Evans who takes on the role of the superhero and title character.

My ‘I may see it’ list includes:
1. Green Lantern:
I know the story from the comics and I am afraid from what I have seen in the trailers that the film may not live up to my expectations.
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger
Tides:
I was originally a fan of the series, but after the disappointing plot and direction of the third film and the absence of the majority of the series’ primary characters from this film, I am uncertain if I will see
it.

My ‘definitely will not see it’ list includes:
1. Monte Carlo:
The film with a plot about three young girls vacationing in Paris who end up in Monte Carlo after a case of mistaken identity and a cast that includes “Gossip Girl” star, Leighton Meester and Disney
star, Selena Gomez, I will have to pass.
2. Bridesmaids:
It has no major stars to carry the film and the all too familiar best friend turned maid of honor storyline that has been done over and over again . I will have to pass on this film

Style Spotter!

Fall is here and we are off to a rainy start in the Peach State. …