Home / Clarkston / Gullah Excursion Sells Out

Gullah Excursion Sells Out

By Ricky Riley – Managing Editor

“The Old Plantation,” South Carolina, about 1790. The artist is Unknown.  This famous painting shows Gullah slaves dancing and playing musical in- struments derived from Africa. The Old Plantation is the only known painting of its era that depicts African Americans by themselves
“The Old Plantation,” South Carolina, about 1790. The artist is Unknown. This famous painting shows Gullah slaves dancing and playing musical in- struments derived from Africa. The Old Plantation is the only known painting of its era that depicts African Americans by themselves

The Gullah Islands were once home to former slaves from the west African coastal countries of Senegal and Sierra Leone. The islanders lived there for generations without contact or interaction from the main land USA. Their unique culture still remains largely intact. The Second Wind Evening Program and Clarkston SGA are sponsoring a three day mobile excursion to these islands located on the coast of Georgia and South Carolina from April 29 to May 1.
“As of April 8, Clarkston’s SGA, has reduced the cost of the Gullah Tour to $20.00 for GPC Students w/ valid ID. Cost for all others is $140.00,” said Student life Director Angela Avery- Jones.  As of press time, all 44 spaces are filled. However, interested students can get on the waiting list by going to the Student Life office in the N building. The trip will begin in Savannah, where students will visit City Market to dine, learn the Gullah
culture and  site see. The tour will continue to St. Helena Island, SC. Students will see the Penn Center, the first school for freed slaves. The Penn Center will be the main attraction because it will feature the York W. Bailey Museum and workshops where students will create art, weave baskets like the Gullah natives and watch the  a film about Gullah culture.

For more information visit the
Office Student Life CN-1400
Clarkston Campus or E-mail
Christine.montague@gpc.edu

Library facelift at GPC Clarkston

The construction work going on around the GPC Clarkston campus caused much chagrin to many …