Home / CULTURE / The Black Ops ADDICTION

The Black Ops ADDICTION

By Victoria Healy – Newton Managing Editor

“When you live in an apartment with two other guys, there’s bound to be some competition,” said sophomore Scott King.

It’s 11 p.m. on a Tuesday night, do you know what your boyfriend is doing? If he owns a Play Station 3, a Wii or an Xbox 360, there’s a pretty good chance he’s playing Call of Duty: Black Ops.
In a room with windows blacked out by blankets, sits GPC sophomore Scott King, or Kingster1215 to his fellow Call of Duty players. King has spent a combined 215 hours playing Black Ops.
“It’s really easy to lose track of time when your in the zone, I have probably played for 12 hours straight in one sitting,” said King.
Targeted to 18-34 year old
males, Call Of Duty: Black Ops sold 5.7 million copies on its November release date. Shockingly.. or not so shockingly, the buyers were almost exclusively male.
Call of Duty: Black Ops is a first-person shooter game set during the cold war in the 1960’s. Game modes include: single player, and multi-player online mode that links players globally.
“Online multi-player is by far the best,” said King. “When you live in an apartment with two other guys, there’s bound to be some competition.”
King’s room mate Cameron Hall said, “Playing with your friends makes the game addicting because your competing with them.”
So what is attracting guys all over the world to their game consoles?
“I think the reason most guys are gravitated to Call of Duty because it really never gets old.” King says.
“Its the game play, and the will to be better than everyone else in the game” says King’s roommate Scott Sarratt.
Luckily for King, his girlfriend seems to be very understanding, “Scott is actually really good about not playing COD when I’m visiting, so I can’t complain too much about why I don’t like it,” said Michele, Scott’s girlfriend. “ The times he does play, once he starts playing, I can’t get him to stop! He can go for hours without moving… talking…or doing anything productive,” said Michelle.
“A few times when he was on “live” playing against Cameron, Scott and Cameron would let me and Chelsey (Cameron’s girlfriend) play. They would tell us what to do and how to play.” Says Michele
So now its 11:00 on a Tuesday night, and your phone is blowing up. But you can’t answer… Your in the middle of team death match and your the last man standing. He’ll understand…Right?

Style Spotter!

Fall is here and we are off to a rainy start in the Peach State. …