Home / College Wide / USG announces new chancellor

USG announces new chancellor

By Chris Schultz – Dunwoody News Editor

Former GPC instructor Hank Huckaby has recently been named the finalist  for the University System of Georgia’s Chancellor position
Former GPC instructor Hank Huckaby has recently been named the finalist for the University System of Georgia’s Chancellor position
In October 2010, University System of Georgia Chancellor Erroll Davis announced that he will be retiring when his contract expires in June. Davis has been the USG Chancellor since 2006 and according to Chairman of the Regents Board Willis Potts, he has made a difference in the system during his tenure.
“We had very limited resources in his last three years here,” said Potts. “With his leadership, we ac-complished a remarkable amount of things, both academically and administratively”
After searching for a successor, the USG announced a finalist on Friday: Hank Huckaby. As the only finalist, he is almost assured of being officially named the next Chancellor. Huckaby was a student under the USG. He earned his Master of Arts in Public Administration degree at the University of Georgia, and a Master of Business Administration at Georgia State University along with a Bachelor’s in Political Science.
Huckaby, 69, has more than 40 years of history in Georgia public service as a politician and educator. He has worked for former Gov. Zell Miller, running the state Office of Planning and Budget. More recently, he was former Gov. Sunny Perdue’s interim chief finan-cial officer during his transition into office.

In 2006, Huckaby retired as the senior vice president for finance and administration at the University of Georgia. He has spent a substantial part of his professional life working within the USG schools and has been a Republican member of the Georgia State House of Representatives since 2010. Huckaby’s views on education and budget cuts can be reflected by his co-sponsorship of House Bill 326, Hope Scholarship Program Revisions.
His interest in higher education earned him a seat serving on the Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee and on the Higher Education Committee. Huckaby’s educational experience even reaches down to the level of instructing students by serving as a lecturer or teacher for multiple universities in Georgia, including GPC in the 1960s and ‘70s, when it was still called Dekalb College.
“His vast expertise in both the USG and as a legislator will be very beneficial,” said Alan Essig, executive director of the Georgia Budget and Policy Institute. “His relationship with the general assembly will be a huge advantage for him as he works toward pushing USG forward.”
“We hope that Huckaby will take some time to get to know us as institutions and ask us what our hopes and visions are for our students”, said GPC President Dr. Anthony Tricoli.

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …