Home / College Wide / Jaguars receive honors

Jaguars receive honors

By Victoria Healy –  Contributing Writer

GPC’s Jaguar men’s baseball team finished 42-17 and just missed making the Junior College World Series by one game. Their outstanding year saw many players and their coach honored for stellar performances.
Coach Danny Blue received Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association’s Coach of the Year award in his last season as GPC’s coach. Blue is retiring after being the head coach at GPC from 2006 to 2011.
Mclendon Hill took home the GCAA Gold Glove award for his play at shortstop, with only eight errors in 118 chances.
“I am extremely grateful to each of my coaches who have helped me to get where I am today, they are the ones who make us better everyday.” Hill said. “All the glory goes to God though, and I am excited about going back to work this fall and motivating our entire team to go farther than we did last year,”
Sophomore Scott Sarratt was awarded the national Rawlings Gold Glove as the best fielding junior college catcher in the nation. He also received the GCAA Defensive Player of the year award, as well as a GCAA Gold Glove. With no errors in 312 chances, Sarratt aided in throwing out 36 would be base stealer’s this season. He will be playing Division 1 ball for Georgia State in the Fall.
Freshman Clay Garner was named to the All American Honorable Mention team.
Six GPC players were named to the GCAA all- tournament first team including Kendall Lacey, Kenny Straus, Felton James, and Clay Garner. Jamie McMillian was named to the GCAA all – tournament second team.
Freshman pitcher Antonio Allen was named All Tournament Most Valuable Player.
Designated Hitter Kenny Straus went to the Seattle Mariners in the 26th round of the 2011 MLB draft. Strauss had signed with Georgia State prior to his draft selection, but has since signed with the Mariner organization.
“I would like to thank my GPC teammates and coaches for everything they have ever done for me,” Strauss said. “I really enjoyed my year at GPC and can’t wait to see how well they are going to do in the future!”