Home / College Wide / New York Struggles to Rebuild

New York Struggles to Rebuild

A child stands in front of a mural depicting what occurred on Sept. 11, 2001. (Photo by Sabastian Wee)
Construction at Ground Zero. (Photo by Sabastian Wee)
By Kyndell Mizell – Collegian Staff

Ground Zero construction makes Lower Manhattan a very lively area. Tourists from all over the world come to this tragic location to pay tribute to the lives lost. “It’s sad to be so close to where hundreds have died, but I am excited to see that they are rebuilding,” said Karly, a tourist from Wisconsin.
The traffic is so bad, extra police officers are on duty all day, directing traffic and making sure no one climbs over the huge fences that block the view of the construction.
“The screened fences are up to keep distractions to a minimum,” explained the NYPD.
Construction of this site goes on about 20 hours a day six days a week. The new building will have advanced features setting a new standard for skyscrapers all across the world. “The One World Trade Center won’t be complete until 2014, but the rest of the complex won’t be completed until 2035,” explained a construction worker.
The new memorial is set to open for the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy and a museum is scheduled to open underneath a glass atrium the following year.
The entire Ground Zero location will also be home to hotels, shopping opportunities, a performance arts center, a new transit rail, and two pools where the previous towers once stood strong.
Construction has harmed several businesses around the site. A Brooks Brothers employee complained they “went from making roughly $72,000 a month to only about $12,000.”
Even the Millennium Hilton Hotel is filing a law suit against the builders of the Ground Zero site stating that noise and vibrations are causing long time clients to take their business elsewhere. Most guests can barely manage to stay a single night without complaining and checking out early. USA Today states that The Millennium Hilton will be suing the construction companies for 8 million dollars.
Even with the complaints, the construction at Ground Zero is proceeding on schedule as planned. This portion of New York that once filled hearts with tears will be a beautiful place once again.

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …