Home / Clarkston / A Place to Relax … and Smoke

A Place to Relax … and Smoke

By Kyndell Mizell – Collegian Staff

Anyone who goes to Clarkston campus knows the library kids. They’ve been a fixture for years, smoking cigarettes, socializing, playing instruments.

(From left to right) Andrew Cheek, Horace Reid, and Thomas Leonard socializing and smoking outside of the library. (Photo by Adam Waldorf)

“This is the designated smoking area for Clarkston. If you need a cigarette or a lighter you know to go hang by the library,” Courtney Miller said, when asked why he likes to smoke by the library.

Unlike the Dunwoody campus, Clarkston does not have a smoking hut or a designated area for smokers, so students have made the library a spot where they can relax and enjoy a smoke without being antagonized. “I smoke here because it’s away from the direct population of the N building.” Jordan “Jersey” Walker said. “There is good seating, enough room to lie down if needed; the library’s bathroom is right here, and it’s secluded from the women who don’t like smoke. This area is perfect.”

Everybody that sits outside the library isn’t a smoker, some just enjoy sitting there. “I like it here, it’s peaceful and located in a great part of the campus, you can see so many people walking by,” Jahleel Morris said. Raven Barclay added, “I don’t smoke. Smokers sit on one side and we sit on the other. They don’t bother us and we don’t bother them, we just enjoy the sereneness of the environment.”

This area is where people come to enjoy their free time in between classes. “It’s the spot,” Olayinka Osinuga said. Students of different nationalities from all over the world find a comfortable and welcoming seat to the student created smoking area on the Clarkston campus.

Library facelift at GPC Clarkston

The construction work going on around the GPC Clarkston campus caused much chagrin to many …