Home / Decatur / GPC Foundation Member Talks Business with Students

GPC Foundation Member Talks Business with Students

By Breanna Wimby – Collegian Staff

With 30 years of experience in international banking, a GPC Foundation Board Trustee and Senior Vice President of East West Bank, Henry Yu, spoke to the students about China’s economy, banking sector, and commercialization and internationalization of Chinese currency.

Henry Yu with the Business Club President Antonio Garay, Alpha Beta Gamma President Brianna Simpson, and GPC  student Ingrid Thompson.  (Photo by Breanna Wimby)
Henry Yu with the Business Club President Antonio Garay, Alpha Beta Gamma President Brianna Simpson, and GPC student Ingrid Thompson. (Photo by Breanna Wimby)

Sponsored by the Business Club and Alpha Beta Gamma, Mr. Yu gave a speech to the students explaining how China’s economy has changed, and some of the differences between the Chinese and U.S. banking systems. While Richard Kirk, advisor of the Business Club, had a bit of concern that Mr. Yu would make an impression that China would dominate the U.S. economy, he was impressed that Mr. Yu’s approach was much more realistic. “He pointed out that yes the Chinese economy is growing, the growth of the Chinese economy represents opportunity for U.S. citizens and the growth of the Chinese economy is complicated and not necessarily on a smooth path.”Mr. Yu appreciated the many questions students asked him, saying that, “I was very impressed with student participation. They are asking very difficult questions and good questions, that means they are prepared.”

Antonio Garay, president of the Business Club made it known that he respects Mr. Yu. “He didn’t choose one of the bigger campuses; he chose the Decatur campus specifically and donates to the GPC Foundation. Not many people do that and I respect him for it.” Garay also believes that “we need more people like [Mr. Yu] to speak to the students.”

The Georgia Perimeter College Foundation is a volunteer group entrusted with the oversight for private fund raising to benefit Georgia Perimeter College according to their mission statement. The Foundation provides volunteer leadership to the College’s development and fund-raising programs.

GPC Decatur Garden, Photo by Sammy Lyons.

Decatur Garden serves students and community

The community garden on the Decatur campus is a positive place that can help the …