Home / FEATURES / Marijuana: the Cure for America

Marijuana: the Cure for America

By Kyndell Mizell – Collegian Staff

The way a majority of the students answered my questions about marijuana, you’d think weed was legal. And most of that majority believe that weed is only illegal because it can’t be taxed and all of the money is going into the black market. Which does sound like a convincing argument because marijuana is not really as harmful to the body as the taxed cigarette.

People are being taxed to soon develop lung disease and die. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.” Student Kayla Whetstone said, “Smoking weed kills brain cells and it will make you stupid.” However, according to the National Institutes of Health, that same drug that is “killing” brain cells is more effective than any other prescribed medication to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.

One need look no further than the internet to find out that marijuana, also known as hemp, was smoked by the powerful people in American history. Abraham Lin-coln wrote while serving as this nation’s president, “Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” President Thomas Jefforson said that, “Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country.” Even President John Adams said, “We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption.” These powerful people enjoyed the many usages of marijuana.

This so called “drug” is not even as addictive as smoking, which causes heart disease, the leading cause of death in the country. As the Huffington Post pointed out, “President Obama is still having a hard time quitting tobacco, but had no issues quitting marijuana.”

“Weed can’t be that bad if some states are prescribing medical marijuana to its patients” said, student Diego Slim. There are 16 states not to mention DC who have legalized medical marijuana with six more pending. It is safe to say that the government is finally allowing people to use marijuana as a natural way to cure America.