Home / FEATURES / New academic dean at Newton campus

New academic dean at Newton campus

Recently, Stephanie Rennolds of the Collegian staff sat down with the new academic dean of the Newton campus, Ronald A. Key.

Q: How are you feeling about your new position?

A: I love it here. I love the environment. The community is outstanding; I think students probably don’t know how much leaders love this campus.

Q: Have you ever done anything like this before?

A: I’ve been a provost and a vice president in multiple places. I’ve continued to teach for 30 years. I really like the two year model. I’ve dedicated my life to it because I feel closer to the students. If I could, I would like to move my office down to where the students and faculty are.

Q: Where are you from?

A: I’m originally from Louisville, Ky. I went to school on a baseball scholarship – they didn’t give baseball scholarships! I earned eight letters in Varsity sports and my wife is a student in medical research.

Q: Who are you out of the office?

A: I play saxophone. I once toured with Blood, Sweat and Tears and the Doobie Brothers. One thing I took up two years ago was surfing. It’s hard to surf on the Alcovy River, though.

Q: Do you have any ideas for our campus during your stay?

A: My vision is that we’ll continue to grow in enrollment. I’d like to see new buildings; we’d like to offer more space for our staff and new labs. I’d like to see an outdoor amphitheater, as well. I really want to see it. I consider this campus the gem of GPC. You won’t know this area 5-10 years from now.