Home / SPORTS / Up close with Muhammad Abdul-Aleem

Up close with Muhammad Abdul-Aleem

By: Berthella Peoples

The summer is over, the season has changed, there’s a chill in the air and the leaves have begun to fall.  That’s right, the wait is over.  Basketball season has finally arrived.  Tuesday, Nov. 8 starts the season for Georgia Perimeter College men’s basketball team.  They are set to play Southern Union C.C. in Wadley Alabama.

Before the season opener, I had a chance to visit the men’s basketball team during one of their daily practices in the school gym.  While there, I had a chance to sit down and speak with sophomore Muhammad Abdul-Aleem, a 6’4” shooting guard for the Jaguars who also has a twin brother that plays on the team.

Peoples: Muhammad, where are you from?

Abdul-Aleem: I was born in Mississippi, but I was only there for less than six months when my family moved to Atlanta.

P: What is your major?

A: Social work.  I would love to help adolescent and troubled teens.  I want to influence our younger generation.

P: Do you have a favorite basketball player?

A: Dwayne Wade of the Miami Heat and Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls.

P: What are some of your hobbies?

A: I like reading, working out, and doing outdoor activities such as camping.

P: Tell me something about yourself people would be surprised to know.

A: At one time I was really good at sword fighting.  Also, my grandfather was a professional boxer.  He almost had an opportunity to fight Joe Lewis.

P: What is your favorite subject in school?

A: English.  I enjoy English so much, I’ve considered changing my major to English or journalism.

P: What other sports do you enjoy?

A: I enjoy playing pool, ping-pong, football, swimming and boxing.

P. What is your favorite food?

A: I love African food. All kinds, especially peanut butter stew.  It’s made with rice, lamb, goat, and chicken.

P: What is your favorite television show?

A: I don’t really have a favorite, but I love watching reruns of Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.  I also enjoy oldies like Sanford and Son.

P: What is your favorite movie?

A: The Lord of The Ring series.

You can see Mohammed Abdul-Aleem and the rest of the Jaguars men’s basketball team this season at the Georgia Perimeter College Decatur campus for all home games.  The team’s first home game is Friday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. against Johnson County.