Home / SPORTS / Baseball team off to hot start

Baseball team off to hot start

By Rhett Lewis

The GPC Jaguars Baseball team is off to another hot start, compiling an 8-1 record over their first two weeks of play on their 2012 Spring schedule.

The Jags have swept home doubleheaders versus West Georgia Technical College, Chattanooga State Community College and Cleveland State Community College.  The team has also defeated Chattahoochee Valley Community College at home.

The team’s lone loss came in the first leg of a doubleheader versus Southern Union Community College in Wadley, Ala. on Feb. 7.  The Jags bounced back to take the second game of the double dip by a final score of 14-0.

SS McLendon Hill (.457) and CF Christopher Madera (.500) led the team in batting average, both having made plate appearances in all nine of the team’s games. Madera has hit safely in all nine contests.

Wes Armstong leads the Jags in run production as he has batted in 13 runs, including a five in one game versus Chattahoochee Valley on Feb. 8.

The pitching staff has been paced by Sophomore Clay Garner and Freshman Sam Bragg who each have a pair of victories.

Freshman Landon Hayes has contributed a pair of saves and one win on the mound as well.

The Jags have several weeks worth of games to prepare themselves for the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association schedule, which begins March 6 in Cochran, Ga. versus Middle Georgia College.

All home games are played on the Newton Campus in Covington, Ga.