Home / FEATURES / Birmingham bomb survivor speaks

Birmingham bomb survivor speaks

By Breanna Wimby

On Sept. 15, 1963, 23 people were injured and four girls were killed in the bombing of Sixteenth Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama. Barbara Cross, who was 13 at the time, survivor of the bombing says of her four Sunday School friends, “They died innocently.”

A witness to the changes made in the Civil Rights Bill and Voter’s Rights Bill, Barbara Cross is keeping the history alive by sharing her story from an eye witness perspective at GPC with a mission to educate her audience about the events in Birmingham.

Cross will be talking about her experiences, Dr. King and his movement in Birmingham, the events that lead to the bombing and tell something of the lives of her friends.

“It’s important for me to keep the history alive because I am a survivor.” According to Cross, the bombing at the church was the most deadliest in the Civil Rights Era because, “They were in a place of safety. They weren’t marching in the street, they stayed in place and I want to be sure that I get that message out. They weren’t trying to throw rocks at anyone, they weren’t trying to attack the police. They were in a place of safety.”

Cross will be speaking at the Clarkston Campus Feb. 23 in Building CN at 3pm.

Addie Mae Collins (14), Cynthia Wesley (14), Carole Robertson(14) and Denise McNair (13) were the four girls that passed away.