Home / OPINION / Black diamond in the rough

Black diamond in the rough

By: Bria Philpot

Blacks in this day in time don’t realize their value.

We can’t depend on this European education that the United States school system is based off of because it’s designed to keep us deaf and dumb to the world around us. We’re not as useless and lazy as they want us to think. Not every brother is a thug and not every sister is loud.

We were once kings and queens who created the greatest civilization known to man, and  were the founders of democracy, something this country is supposedly built on. We were the ones who taught the Greeks and Asians and therefore are the primary reason for the success of their civilizations. It was Akhenaten, the husband of Queen Nefertiti, who founded Christianity in Egypt with his belief in only one God.

It was us who invented the written language and wrote the many “lost” books of the Bible, yet we barely practice the craft we perfected. There is a saying, “If you want to hide something from a [Negro], then put it in a book,” and unfortunately, that’s true. Our true history has been written down in many books, but instead of reading them, we continue to roam the Earth as “black” sheep.

Thousands of years of black history has been erased and what’s left has been crammed into one month. The only way to escape oppression  is through education and obtaining wealth. First, we have to instill in our youth their worth, morals and values, and that through education anything is possible. Next, we have to stop fighting, killing, and deterring one another. And last, but not least, we must obtain wealth because they’re not just going to give us freedom, we have to buy it. We have to stop being so materialistic and focus on what’s really important.

So to all the young brothers and sisters, understand that the color of your skin and the blood in your veins is royalty, and don’t let anybody tell you different. We, the black race, are the chosen ones but in order for us to have a future, we must uncover our past.

• Matt Graham

First let me say that I understand the point of this article. Unification of black Americans to become something better, do better things, and dream of excelling and achievement… I get it. With that being said, as I read this article on campus today I started getting upset and there are multiple reasons for this.

You make several bold claims. The first one being that Africans were the “founders of democracy”. There are several problems with this. The first of which is the idea of “primitive democracy”. This idea came about from the studies of pre-Babylonian mesopotamian societies, where the power was held in the hands of all of the males of a tribe. Any male could bring up an issue with the tribal leader, which would then be discussed among the male members of the tribe, and the tribe leader would make a decision that would only count if the tribal elders also agreed. This has been shown to happen all across the world in illiterate tribes, meaning that democracy is an idea that many people in many places can come up with individually. To claim to be the “founders of democracy” is ludicrous.

Secondly, you claim that Africans created the written language. I’m assuming that you’re talking about the markings found on pots that are known to have been used for trade. If that’s the case, you need to fact check your information by claiming that the Africans did it first. The first one that we know of, discovered by American archaeologists in modern day Pakistan in 1999, was actually dated a century or two before the ones in Africa. However, I submit to your consideration that you would have to go well before what was found in Pakistan and look to the cave drawings found all across the world. It is most likely that these drawings were used to tell stories, much like how hieroglyphics work. The earliest one of these was found in modern day France, and is ascribed to the Aurignacian culture about 32,000 years ago. So again, fact checking is your friend.

Thirdly you claim that Akhenaten “founded Christianity in Egypt with his belief in only one God(sic)”. You obviously did not even look up what that one “god” was. He wanted to abandon their traditional religion to celebrate the Aten. The Aten is the disk of the Sun in ancient Egyptian mythology, which was one aspect of a previous god, Ra. Guess what. This did not take hold and this has nothing to do with Christianity. Not only does it have nothing to do with Christianity, Akhenaten died close to 1,600 years before the earliest known documents of Christianity (not Judaism which, by the way, was around before Akhenaten was born… making your point of Akhenaten creating a monotheistic religion in Egypt a totally hipster move on his part). Do you remember that advice I gave about fact checking?

Now let’s take a look at the inherent racism found in your last paragraph: “We, the black race, are the chosen ones…”. Do I honestly need to say anymore? Well, considering you thought this trash was good enough for your article, and considering none of the editors at the Collegian thought anything was wrong with this, I apparently do. This quote is nothing but racial supremacism. You’re claiming that because of the color of your skin, you are somehow better than anyone who is not of the same color. This puts you in the same crowd as the Klu Klux Klan, people who felt that the African slave trade was somehow alright because Africans were “dark and barbaric”, Adolf Hitler who thought that anyone who was not Aryan was a lesser human, and anyone who bought into the Japanese propaganda during World War 2 that was used to support the idea that the Yamato was the superior race and was destined to rule over all of Asia and the Pacific. If you haven’t figured this out yet, this is not a good crowd of friends. You should instead look back to people like Olaudah Equiano, a victim of the slave trade, who fought the idea of racial supremacy. You should look to people like David Walker, who in his Appeal vehemently attacked the idea of racial supremacy. You should look to writers like William Wells Brown and Harriet Jacobs. You should look to great people like Martin Luther King Jr. who fought the chains that had burdened people who had had the misfortune of being victims of racial supremacy. Instead you prolong it. You’re not trying to heal a wound, but to stretch it and pour salt with lime on the newly opened wound. With that statement you wrote, and with the blind eyes of the editors, you have been a disservice to everything that the historical figures I mentioned before tried so hard and even died fighting for. Congratulations.

Finally we come to the irony of this article. You stated this: “We can’t depend on this European education that the United States school system is based off of because it’s designed to keep us deaf and dumb to the world around us”. If you actually believe that this is true, then why are you writing this in a college newspaper in the United States school system? Why are you wasting your time and money? If the man’s just trying to keep you down by this education system, then what are you doing in it? You said that this is a truth: “If you want to hide something from a [Negro], then put it in a book”. I don’t think it is true, because the “[Negro]” needs to be changed to “lazy person” or in this case “Collegian Staff writer”. Most of the points you made and tried to pull off as facts are easily debunked with a simple internet search. You wouldn’t even do that.

I am severely disappointed in this article. While I didn’t care to read almost an entire paper devoted to “what do you think about black history month”, the fact is that it was the February, Black History Month, issue and that’s fine. What is not fine is publishing this garbage. This is not of the quality that the Collegian is supposed to represent and I am ashamed as a Georgia Perimeter College student to have this in our newspaper.

• Matt, thank you for your comments.
      That is the point of an editorial page – to illicit strong emotional responses. Regardless of whether or not we agree or disagree with the article, this is not Russia and we are not in the business of censorship.
      You have a right to your opinion just as the writer has a right to hers. Given your passion, I urge you to get in contact with the Opinion Editor to discuss writing something for us.
      I have no doubt in my mind that he would probably be more than willing to print your response to this article and/or work with you in producing other content.

“I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it.” – Voltaire

• Matt Graham

I wasn’t aware that illiciting a strong emotional response is more important than being factually accurate, as it appears you are implying. I’m not asking for censorship, but intellectual honesty and integrity. The work of this writer and that of the editors does not promote either one of these attributes.

We have a right to our own opinions, yes, but we do not have a right to our own facts. Facts do not change just because someone doesn’t believe them or know them. Their truth value remains the same. Fact checking the falsehoods that were spewed into this article would have done the decency of making this a better article.

As a college newspaper, even if it is written by the students, there are certain standards that should be taken into consideration. This paper represents the school and its students. This is not an entirely black school and even if it was the comment about black people being the “chosen ones” would still be inappropriate for this setting. I think it would be inappropriate for any setting. What I want to know is what the editors were thinking when they read that? Did they forget that “Editors reserve the right to edit for grammar, space, appropriateness and length”? As far as getting in touch with Mr. Kevin Jackson to have my response published, I’m not sure that I’d have my name tarnished by being in a paper that would publish an article worthy of the Weekly World News.