Home / SPORTS / GPC Jaguars cruise into semifinals

GPC Jaguars cruise into semifinals

By Rhett Lewis

The GPC Jaguars defeated Albany Tech Tuesday night by a final score of 72-46 to advance to the semifinals of the GCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament.

The Jags will face Darton College this Friday in Savannah, Ga. with Armstrong Atlantic College hosting the action.

GPC defeated Albany Tech for the third time this season, thanks in large part to All-Region performer Brittany Logan.

Logan was one rebound short of a double-double, scoring 21 points and grabbing nine boards.

Fanny Cavallo and ShaRon Forte’ also reached double figures for the Jags scoring 10 and 11 points respectively.

Both teams struggled to find offense in the first five minutes of the game.

That all change in a hurry as GPC turned up the defensive pressure and starting forcing Albany Tech into turnovers.

Those turnovers, 12 in the first half, led to easy baskets in transition for GPC and allowed them to build a 36-22 led at intermission.

Logan and Forte’ came out hot in the second half, combining for 20 points, and the Jaguar defense never let up.

Albany Tech ended the game with 29 turnovers, which led to 26 points for GPC.

Another key to the Jaguars’ victory was their ability to nuetralize Albany Tech’s Bianca Fennessee.

Fennessee, who joined Logan on the All-Region first team, came into the game averaging over 14 ppg and 16 rpg.

She was held to just 8 points on 2 of 10 shooting from the floor and managed to grab only seven rebounds.

The win was the team’s 19th of the season, paired with just nine losses, and sets up a date with Darton this Friday night.

Darton, the tournament’s number two seed, and GPC split their regular season series, each winning on their own home court.

GPC’s Jan. 12th home win was highlighted by Kamiya Burwell’s stat stuffing game and a tenacious effort on the defensive end.

Darton shot just 27% from the floor and turned the ball over 29 times that night.

The winner of Friday’s game will play the winner of the first semifinal match up between South Georgia Tech and Middle Georgia College.

The first semifinal between SGTC and Middle Georgia is set t tipoff at 5 p.m.

GPC and Darton are scheduled to tipoff at 7 p.m.