Home / Clarkston / GPC Welcomes Sheriff Thomas E. Brown

GPC Welcomes Sheriff Thomas E. Brown

By Monique Bryan-Cantrell

GPC Alumni and Board of Trustees member Sheriff Thomas E. Brown will be visiting the Clarkston Campus on Feb 23 from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Sheriff Brown, of DeKalb County, has been servicing the community for 21 years and began his career as a city of Atlanta fire fighter.

In conjunction with his duties he obtained his Associate of Science degrees in Fire Service Technology and Emergency Medical Technology at DeKalb Community College, now known as GPC, and went on to become the youngest fire chief in the nation at the age of 31.

The Atlanta native is also a mentor at the 100 Black Men of DeKalb which is a non-profit organization that helps to cultivate professional and personal development of young men through education.

During his visit he plans on discussing the advantages of entering into the law enforcement profession and will be sharing some of the trials that he first encountered when choosing a career as well as how essential it is to plan ahead for the future.

”It’s an exciting field, and we need good quality and educated people,” said Sheriff Brown. “I want to challenge young people to look at the opportunities that are waiting for them with the proper education particularly in the areas of science and math.”

Library facelift at GPC Clarkston

The construction work going on around the GPC Clarkston campus caused much chagrin to many …