Home / OPINION / I don’t need a ballot

I don’t need a ballot

By David Schick

I want a recount!

It feels like just yesterday we were awaiting the results from the 2000 presidential elections.

The race was neck and neck as it came down to the wire of winning Florida’s 25 electoral votes.

I watched in horror as a well-known, right-wing media channel prematurely portrayed Georgie W. Bush as the next presidential elect, while other networks declared Al Gore had won.

Then, the Schick hit the fan.

The U.S. Supreme Court stepped in and made a ruling that in effect was the biggest mistake in U.S. history. They declared that the Florida Supreme Court’s ruling requiring a statewide recount of ballots was unconstitutional.

Now, ask me why I don’t vote.

Never mind that Al Gore won the popular vote by over half a million votes, how is it possible that the decision for the presidency can ultimately come down to nine Supreme Court Justices whom you don’t even get to vote for?

To the people who tell me that because I don’t vote I don’t have the right to voice my opinion about politics, I say, nonsense. I could say the same thing to those who vote for the winning candidate and then complain about something their candidate did that they didn’t like.

The average voter doesn’t spend enough time to truly understand the platform of a politician and votes solely on the personality of a person they’ve never met before.

Without claiming that all politicians lie, how can you truly know a person whose made it far enough in politics to get their name on the ballot?

I think the power to vote is great. However, it is also a choice.

Many voting advocates will tell you that this it is your duty as a citizen to vote and then turn around to pressure you into voting for their candidate.

I’m here to tell you that life goes on…

With or without your vote.

“To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States.” – George W. Bush