Home / College Wide / Manning and Bradshaw fuel Giants victory over Patriots

Manning and Bradshaw fuel Giants victory over Patriots

By Rhett Lewis

Eli and the Giants 2.  Brady and the Pats’ 0.

The New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots by a final score of 21-17 in Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis Sunday night.

The game was a rematch of Super Bowl XLII, also won by New York, in which the Giants prevented the Patriots from securing only the second perfect season in Nation Football League History.

Ahmad Bradshaw’s 6-yard rushing touchdown with 57 seconds to go in the game capped a nine-play, 88-yard drive by the Giants.

The score would prove to be the game winner as quarterback Tom Brady’s last second Hail Mary was not answered, falling just short of the outstretched arms of tight end Rob Gronkowski.

The biggest play of the game, however, opened the game winning drive.

Backed up to their own 12-yard line, Giants’s quarterback Eli Manning connected with wide receiver Mario Manningham for an acrobatic catch down the left sideline for a 38 yards.  The play would be challenged by Patriots’s head coach Bill Belicheck, but would be a confirmed completion.

Eight plays later the Giants were in the end zone and seconds away from their second league championship in five seasons.

The Patriots did manage to get the ball to midfield on the ensuing drive, setting up the game’s final play.

Brady’s last second heave found it’s way into the end zone before it was batted to the ground, just out of the reach of Gronkowski.

“It just feels great to win a super bowl, no matter where you are”  said MVP Eli Manning after the game.

The Super Bowl victory is  the second of his career and came in the stadium that his brother, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, plays his home games.

He became only the eleventh quarterback to win multiple Super Bowl titles as a starter, joining Brady who has three championships.