Home / Alpharetta / Outstanding Alpharetta Professors: Adam Stone

Outstanding Alpharetta Professors: Adam Stone

By Mallory Blount

Though Alpharetta has many fascinating professors, a few stand out from the rest. Among these stands Adam Stone, an Associate Professor in Political Science.

In addition to writing several published academic articles, Stone has been published in the AJC and Gwinnett Daily Post. He has also done political commentary on television and is the co-editor of the proceedings of the Georgia Political Science Association and is currently contributing to a book.

Adam Stone grew up in California and graduated from West Valley college in Saratoga where he dual enrolled as a senior in high school in 1981.

Stone continued with his education with an bachelor’s degree in Political Science at the University of California, Berklee in 1985 and then migrated to Massachusetts where he attended Brandeis University for a master’s degree in Politics in 1988.

Stone’s original interest was research about American political thought. However, when an opportunity presented itself to teach at the West Valley college where he had previously dual enrolled, Stone seized the offer and took up teaching.

“In grad school I found out I was a much better teacher than researcher,” Stone said about his early teaching days. In November of 1990 Stone saw an ad for Dekalb College looking for professors and “liked the idea of going to Atlanta.”

Though Stone has been teaching at GPC for 21 years, he has only been at Alpharetta for one year.

“I’m very happy at Alpharetta,” he exclaims, “It’s an interesting challenge to create a new campus … What I love about Political Science is that not only do we have material, but we have analysis. Students and I can relate what happens in the real world to course material.”

By using creative illustrations, Stone captivates students and teaches them in a unique way that allows them to learn while developing an appreciation for American government. “I decided that students learn better by discussing instead of racing to take notes. The idea is to learn together,” said Stone.

“Matters of Justice:” Why do we need the classics and arts?

By: Maurice Raeford Marie Gaudio, a humanities professor at the Alpharetta campus, has written a …