Home / Dunwoody / Active Minds Crushes the Stigma of Mental Disorders

Active Minds Crushes the Stigma of Mental Disorders

By Tia Heard

Teniola Osikoya, president of Active Minds works diligently organizing events to end the negative stigma associated with mental health disorders.

“Active Minds is the only organization working to utilize the student voice to change the conversation about mental health on college campuses … our mission is to de-stigmatize mental health disorders by promoting open, enlightened discussion of mental health; and to create a better life for all who suffer,” she said. Doing so matters because 1 in 4 people in the U.S. are affected by mental illness every year, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

The week of Feb. 26 was National Eating Disorder Week and Active Minds hosted a number of events to bring awareness to the dangers of living with an eating disorder, including a fashion show, movie screening and speaker Jennifer Mayerle of CBS News. The events are meant to be informative while opening up dialogue about a number of mental illnesses such as depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Active Minds holds open meetings every other Wednesday of the month in room B-2101 at 1 p.m. where students are invited to openly discuss their experiences and ask questions. If you would like more information about Active Minds or any of their upcoming events, please visit www.activeminds.org or contact Teniola Osikoya at osikoyat@student.gpc.edu

Solar-powered picnic tables at the Dunwoody campus

Dunwoody Campus Takes a Step into the Future

Spring is just around the corner and you want to enjoy the sunshine. But you …