Home / College Wide / Bike patrol rolls toward a campus near you

Bike patrol rolls toward a campus near you

By Chris Schultz

Over the spring break, a four-day bike mount training session was held. “After training, officers need to be outfitted, then introduced to the college by the chief,” said Captain Belinda Boldoe of GPC public safety, coordinator of the bike patrol training. In the near future, there will probably be two bike patrol officers on duty per campus.

“One of the many advantages to a bike patrol unit is the ability to quickly navigate through traffic and deal with a situation,” said Katrina Bruce, officer of the Sandy Springs Police Department and instructor for the bike patrol training. “If a suspect is running, I can keep up with them and radio in to let other officers know where we are.”

According to Bruce, there are various advantages, such as their visibility and how approachable they are to the community. Given how open they are to their surroundings, they are able to hear what is going on in the world around them.

“I want to be a bike patrol officer because I can navigate the campuses quickly and it is not so stationary,” said GPC public safety officer, Shannon Hall. Officer Brian Salters of the Clarkston campus joined because the bike patrolmen are “community oriented”. Salters also stated that a bike patrolman’s ability to be stealthy is an asset. Many of the prospective bike patrolmen recognize that this is an effective way to ensure that the campuses are safe. They are approachable to the community and they can deal with situations quickly and efficiently .

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …