Home / SPORTS / Jaguars baseball team points to the stands

Jaguars baseball team points to the stands

By Rhett Lewis

The GPC Jaguars have stated that their team goal is to play for a National Championship is Colorado later this summer.  Their recent play proves they may be capable of doing just that.

As of press time the Jaguars sport a 25-7 overall record, which includes a 5-3 record in Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association play.  They are also ranked #9 in the current NJCAA National Poll.

The past couple of weeks have seen the Jaguars open region play and also travel to Chattanooga, Tenn. to take on Chattanooga State Community College.

The first four games of region play were versus chief rival Middle Georgia College.

The four games, played over the span of five days, included three different one run games, two of which being decided in extra innings.

GPC won the March 9 game and the second game a doubleheader on March 10 by scores of 1-0 and 7-1 respectively.

Middle Georgia downed GPC on March 6, 3-2 in 13 innings, and the first game of the March 10 doubleheader, 3-2 in 11 innings.

On March 16 and 17, GPC traveled to Tifton, Ga. to take on region foe Abraham Baldwin College in a three game set.

The Jags won the first game by a final score of 13-5 and split the doubleheader on March 17.

GPC continues their play in the GCAA this coming week with four games versus Gordon College, including a home date on Tuesday and a three game road set on Friday and Saturday.

Wes Armstrong and Christopher Madera continue to lead the Jags on offense.

Armstrong is batting .444 with 14 extra base hits and a team high 33 RBI.  Madera is batting .358 with 26 RBI and 12 doubles.

Clay Garner and Adam Clark are both a perfect 5-0 on the mound.  Garner’s ERA is currently 2.48, while Clark sports a microscopic 1.67 ERA.

All GPC home games are played at Newton Campus in Covington, Ga.

Admission is free with a student ID.