Home / FEATURES / New York Times Best Selling Author to visit GPC

New York Times Best Selling Author to visit GPC

By Monique Bryant-Cantrell

Inventor and New York Times Best Seller William Kamkwamba, author of The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, will speak at the Clarkston Campus on March 21, 2012.

In the book Kamkwamba’s tells an autobiographical story of his struggles, perseverance and accomplishments.

At the age of 14 Kamkwamba was forced to leave school because his family could not afford for him to attend. Instead, he utilized the library as his source of education and taught himself.

Through his readings, he discovered that by using materials that were being disposed of  in his village, such as scrap metal parts, he could build a windmill and bring electricity to his home.

Since the publication of his book, Kamkwamba has appeared on Comedy Central’s Daily Show with Jon Stewart and ABC’s Good Morning America.

In his free time he visits and speaks at schools across the globe, the donations he receives as a guest speaker is used  to help fund programs in Dowa, Malawi where he is originally from.

He is currently enrolled at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, majoring in Engineering.

“I try, and I made it,” said Kamkwamba, who believes that dreams can become reality as long as you never give up.