Home / SPORTS / Springing up on the tennis court

Springing up on the tennis court

By Rhett Lewis

Spring is here, at least according to the thermometer, and the tennis action at GPC is heating up.

Both the men and women’s teams have been busy over the past several weeks and have victories to show for their efforts.

As of press time the men sport a 3-1 team record, having defeated Shorter College and College of Coastal Georgia twice.

The women have defeated College of Coastal Georgia twice in route to a 2-2 record.

Menford Owusu and Ismail Lemtouni have both been solid in men’s singles play.  Lemtouni is a perfect 4-0 on the season in the No. 2 singles slot.

The men’s biggest victory came at the expense of the Shorter College Hawks, a four year university who was ranked 10th nationally in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics poll at the time of GPC’s victory.

The women’s team is anchored by the threesome of Salma Dahbi, Sadia Mayou and Idia Amen.

Dahbi, playing the No. 1 singles, is a flawless 4-0 and has yet to drop a single set in her four matches this season.

The men’s team is back in action on March 15 and March 18 versus Itawamba Community College and Gadsden State Community College respectively.  Both matches are at home.

The women have the month of March off before they hit the road for their first region match of the year on April 1 versus Abraham Baldwin College.

Their next home match is April 6 versus Central Alabama Community College.

Both the men and women play their home matches at the Dunwoody campus.