Home / SPORTS / 8 teams, 1 goal. Jaguars Pride!

8 teams, 1 goal. Jaguars Pride!

It’s the last edition of The Collegian for the 2011-2012 school year and we thought it was the perfect time for a year end wrap up of all things GPC Jaguars athletics.  The Jags enjoyed a multitude of success on the pitch, field, and court this year and earned numerous awards along the way.  Her are just a few of the highlights from the year in sports.

Baseball

The Jaguars stormed out of the gates and owned a 16-2 record when the initial NJCAA was announced on February 29.  The ranking was the highest by GPC since the late 1990’s.  The Jaguars currently sport a 34-12 record and have their eyes set on a successful end to the regular season and hopefully even more success in the postseason.  Freshmen Wes Armstrong and Christopher Madera  have paced the Jaguars at the plate, while sophomore pitcher Clay Gardner has been the ace of a very deep and talented pitching staff.

Men’s Basketball

James Johnson was the driving force behind much of the success that the team experienced this season.  Johnson, who averaged 15.6 points and 10.5 rebounds per game, was named the GCAA Player of the Year and was named to the All-America second team by the NJCAA.  The team finished the season with a 25-8 record and reached the GCAA tournament finals before falling to Gordon College.

Women’s Basketball

The Jags defeated Jefferson College in the first round of the NJCAA national tournament in Kansas.  The victory was the first ever for GPC in the first round of the national tournament.  They received their tournament bid by winning both the GCAA tournament and the District J championship game.  The Jaguars fininshed the season with a 23-11 record.  Sophomore Brittany Logan was named to the GCAA All-Region team and averaged 13.5 points and 10.8 rebounds per game.

Men’s Soccer

Forward Mo Babouli terrorized opposing team’s defenses the entire season.  After the season, the freshman from Ontario, Canada, was named to the GCAA first team and All-America second team by the NJCAA.  The team had a very solid season and finished with a 15-6-1 overall record.  They made it to the GCAA finals before they were defeated by Darton College in double overtime.

Women’s Soccer

The Jaguars sported a pair of All-Americans and a near perfect record all the way up the GCAA finals.  Darton College downed GPC in the championship match, handing the Jags there first and only loss of the season.  The 13-1-2 record was a product of great team work and some serious talent.  Linda Chukwuji and Esther Anyanwu were both named to the All-America first team by the NJCAA.  Chukwuji was also named the GCAA Player of the Year.

Softball

The GPC Jaguars softball team finished their regular season with a 25-14 record and are eager to begin postseason play.  Leading the charge for the Jags are sophomore shortstop and team co-captain Kacie Patterson and ace pitcher Lauren Bell.  Both players have committed to four-year universities next year where they will continue their softball careers.  Patterson will attend Jaksonville State University in Alabama and Bell will attend Anderson University in South Carolina.

Men’s Tennis

The regular season has come and gone and the Jaguars sport a 7-1 record.  Next stop?  The GCAA tournament in Tifton, Ga. and a possible trip to nationals after that.  The Jaguars are led by freshman Menford Owusu and sophomore Ismail Lemtouni.  The team is hoping to make it back to nationals and improve on their seventh place finish from a season ago.

Women’s Tennis

Following a 4-4 regular season, the GPC Jaguars are looking forward to the GCAA tournamnet in Tifton, Ga..  The Jags are hoping to earn a trip to the national tournament by winning the region.  Top singles players for the Jags this season have been sophomores Salma Dahbi and Sadietou Mayou.