Home / FEATURES / Are you getting married?

Are you getting married?

By Kaylyn Hinz

While college is usually a time for partying, hooking up, and living the single life, a selective few decide to say the word ‘I do’ rather quickly. It is a matter of “Do I want to spend the rest of my life with this person? Or should I explore my options?”

A couple who has strived against the odds is couple Kerrin and Caleb Little. By just going out on their first date, the couple knew they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together. With many opinions on young marriage Little said, “I think if you have found that person that you are truly in love with and without a shadow of a doubt you know you want to spend the rest of your life with, and you both have that understanding then go for it. I tell people [who wonder] why I should have waited, [It was because] I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with my husband so why not.”

Many students at GPC try to find a balance between having a boyfriend or husband and concentrating on homework at the same time. “My husband is my support. He helps me with my homework because he wants me to succeed to my life long goals. But balancing the two can be tricky because I have a lot of work. But the weekends are all about us,” said Little.

The student body at GPC had mutual opinions when asked about student marriage. Zach Barton said, “It all depends on who you are and who you are with. It’s always different from relationship to relationship and I would urge people to get married after college but if you feel as if this person is the one and only for you then ask them to marry you. The wedding can always come after graduation and you can live your life with them after. Just make sure that the person you love will be there not only 5 years from now, but 50 years. Because marriage is meant to be a lifetime commitment not just something you can bail out of when it gets a tad ugly.”

While Emily Hawkins said, “[Marriage is] too young for most but I guess there are a few mature students who could be an exception, but most people in college have a lot to accomplish before they want to settle down and they should wait until they’ve been together for at least a few years.”