Home / OPINION / Drugs are bad… Mmmmm’kay?

Drugs are bad… Mmmmm’kay?

By David Schick

It wasn’t too long ago that I used to be a habitual marijuana smoker, but now the fog has lifted and I can finally remember where I put my keys.

Imagine that.

It’s been over six months since I quit using marijuana and I can’t tell you how much things have changed. Now, I know this is suppose to be the anti-pot story, but truth be told, I’m not against you using weed, I’m just saying that it’s just not for me.

Since the jury is still out because of the multiple conflicting studies on marijuana usage, I thought I would take the approach of giving you some empirical data that I’ve collected after having been a pot-head for several years.

First, there’s a theory out there that claims marijuana is a “gateway drug,” which can open you up to using other more hardcore substances. For me, this was true.

I won’t say that marijuana made me want to do other drugs, because even after all the drugs I’ve done I still preferred marijuana over the rest, but being a smoker did put me in unique situations to try things out of the ordinary. In my experience, these opportunities come hand-in-hand with being a part of the pot subculture.

Another theory claims that marijuana can slow your thinking, impair coordination, and can increase rates of anxiety or depression. Once again, for me, this was true.

My motivation was nonexistent when I was a smoker. All I cared about was the next time I was going to smoke. I would sometimes even “pause for the cause” in the middle of a shift at work or between classes at school. My grades and work performance turned out negative results.

Lastly, I just want to put this bug into you ear.

I’m a college student and I have money. How many students do you know that can say that?

Once again, I’m not saying that you should quit smoking weed, but perhaps it’s time to sit down and write out a pro’s and con’s list for yourself.