Home / Dunwoody / GPC Student goes the distance for 2012 London Olympic Games

GPC Student goes the distance for 2012 London Olympic Games

By Jeffrey Davis

“It is a once in a lifetime opportunity”, these were the words that Jerri Peterson, a senior software engineer for the Holiday Inn Atlanta Corporate office and GPC student, used to describe her feelings about being selected as a torch carrier for the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympics Games. Mrs. Peterson was one of 72 Intercontinental Hotel Group staff members from 17 countries that will be participating in this historic event. The torch relay will involve 8,000  different people, whom will carry the Olympic Flame across more than 1,000 cities, towns, and villages the UK. Holiday Inn will assist in the Olympic Torch Relay by hosting the Olympic Flame and its support team in over 40 hotels across the United Kingdom.

The IHG Olympic Torchbearers competition participants received nominations from their colleagues.  Nominees were required to not only uphold and live the IHG Winning Ways, but were also required to have displayed service that was “above and beyond” in one of the three categories of community, environment, and extraordinary personal story. Aside from being a future Olympic Torch carrier, Jerri Peterson has also helped in coordinating the Atlanta office holiday program, Empty Stocking Fund committee that helped raise over $150,000 over the last several years.

Aside from participating in the Olympic ceremony, Mrs. Peterson said that she had plans to enjoy her two-week assignment in Derby, England with her husband and even has plans to travel across the English Channel to see Paris. In regards to Mrs. Peterson’s game plan for her quarter of a mile stretch of the Torch’s path, she says that she will  “take my time and enjoy the experience.”

Solar-powered picnic tables at the Dunwoody campus

Dunwoody Campus Takes a Step into the Future

Spring is just around the corner and you want to enjoy the sunshine. But you …

• Jerri Peterson

Thank you –
    If I can find the right classes I’ll be back in the fall!