Home / SPORTS / Jaguars baseball are kings of the diamond

Jaguars baseball are kings of the diamond

By Rhett Lewis

In like lion, out like a lamb.

The GPC Jaguars baseball team started March like a lion, downing opponents and climbing the national ranks, yet they never turned into that lamb you always here about in the folk tale.

Instead, the Jaguars just kept defeating one unsuspecting team after another, like leading lambs to the slaughter.

The Jags have rolled right along into the month of April and are poised to make another run deep into postseason play.

As of press time GPC sports a 30-10 overall record, which includes a 10-6 mark in Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association play.

On Friday, April 6, the Jags toppled the South Georgia College Tigers by a final score of 7-0.

Starting pitcher Sam Bragg scattered five hits over seven innings of shutout ball.  He also struck out four and did not yield a single free pass.

Christian Turnipseed and Adam Clark each came on for an inning of scoreless relief to preserve the win for Bragg and the Jaguars.

The win was Bragg’s sixth of the season to go along with three defeats.

GPC led a tight game into the bottom half of the eighth before they were able to solve the SGC pitching staff.

Leading 2-0, the Jags erupted for 5 runs to put the game away for good.

Wes Armstrong, Christian Van Camp, and Cody McCance each plated a run in the inning before Trumon Jefferson drove home a pair with a single to left field.

The Jaguars finished the game with seven hits and did not commit one error in the field, which is always a good sign.

GPC’s next home game is versus East Georgia College on Friday, April 13.  First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.

The Jaguars then have series against West Georgia Technical College, Andrew College, and Darton College to finish up the regular season.

All GPC home games are played at the Newton campus.

Admission is free with a student ID.