Home / Alpharetta / Julian Traas recognized as Celebration of Excellence awards

Julian Traas recognized as Celebration of Excellence awards

By Mallory Blount

On Thursday, April 12 a Celebration of Excellence Student Recognition Awards ceremony was held at the Decatur campus to award diligent students. Prior to the event students from every GPC campus had been nominated for dozens of academic and service awards.

Alpharetta’s own Julian Traas was honored with two awards for his outstanding academic achievements. The first award was for being an Outstanding Student of English. The second award was the Regents’ Scholars award for overall academic achievement. The Regent’s Scholars award honors students who have exhibited leadership and service while maintaining a good GPA.

Julian was born in Paris, France. As a child his family migrated around the world as he grew up in The Netherlands, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. He has aspired to be a writer since he was 7 when he attempted to write his first novel. “The first time I seriously stuck to it was when I was 11. I finished it in June of 2008,” he explains. The fantasy epic is called The Rebirth of Rhin and is available on Amazon. His other published work is Ligeia/Bryndt which he co-authored with Silas Jackson.

Julian has been at GPC since 2010. He has served Alpharetta as both an SGA Secretary and a Managing Editor of the Collegian. He recently contributed a short story titled “Toby” to Creative License, GPC’s student literary magazine. Julian is an English major. “If I could do anything in the world I’d be an author,” he contends.

Despite all of his success, Julian remains humble. “I didn’t ask for any awards. All I set out to do was work hard and get my associate’s. The awards just kind of happened.” Julian plans to transfer to UGA in the fall to further his education.

“Matters of Justice:” Why do we need the classics and arts?

By: Maurice Raeford Marie Gaudio, a humanities professor at the Alpharetta campus, has written a …