Home / Dunwoody / Space Club blasts off

Space Club blasts off

By Jeffrey Davis

The Students’ Physics and Astronomy Conceptual Endeavor Club, or S.P.A.C.E. Club for short, met on March 3 to discuss their future projects.

This recently chartered club has discussed many ideas that they would like to apply for. These projects include a biological experiment dealing with how blue and green algae and mushrooms are effected in space on board the International Space Station, the creation of a plasma discharge device, the building of a ten foot radio antenna for interfertrometry and many more projects.

Beatriz Sevilla, a member of the S.P.A.C.E. Club originally from Madrid, Spain, said, “I have always had an interest in astronomy and physics … I really enjoy being around other people with similar interests in science and it’s different topics.”
John Thorne, another member of the club who moved to Atlanta six years ago from England said that he has always like space. Sevilla and Thorne are the members of the club that will be working on the plasma discharge device.

Christine Holtzclaw, the secretary for the S.P.A.C.E. Club, stated that she had become interested in the club because she is physics major. “There has not been a club like this one before and I am hoping that this club will help people to gain an interest in science.”

Holtzclaw also hopes that the club will help to answer other student’s questions about physics and astronomy.

After GPC, Holtzclaw hopes to be accepted to Georgia Tech so that she can pursue her goal of becoming an astrophysicist. Aside from being S.P.A.C.E. Club member, Trye Johnson also spends his time working on different websites, a digital comic book and making his own video games.

“I would like to get students to become more active in an educational club that is also a fun club,” said Johnson.

If you are interested in joining the club, check out their Face book page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/308228962558314.

Solar-powered picnic tables at the Dunwoody campus

Dunwoody Campus Takes a Step into the Future

Spring is just around the corner and you want to enjoy the sunshine. But you …