Home / NEWS / Budget / Four year degrees move forward as scheduled

Four year degrees move forward as scheduled

By David Schick and Breanna Wimby

GPC’s bachelor’s degree programs will not be affected by the budget deficit according to Rob Watts, interim president.

The two four year degree programs, approved by the Board of Regents in their May 2011 meeting, were in sign language and health informatics. Watts said that he wasn’t sure about the specifics on health informatics, but said that the sign language degree “will certainly be going ahead,” because of the importance for students to have a bachelor’s degree in order to be listed on the national registry of sign language interpreters.

“Our sign language program is one of two programs …. in the University System of Georgia,” said Watts. GPC turns out a lot of the sign language interpreters in the metro Atlanta area. There will be a need to hire at least one additional person to maintain professionalism in that program.

Watts wasn’t sure when GPC would have it’s first junior year students, but stated that, “the original schedule will be going ahead.”

There are no plans to add the four year film animation degree, or any other four year degree programs, in the upcoming academic or fiscal year as GPC tries to balance the budget.

“We hope that we are able to make the kind of adjustments that we need to make to balance the budget that will affect students the least,” said Watts.

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr., Photo by Ben Abrams.

Marinelli encourages strong relationship with students

Public Safety Director Chief Nick Marinelli, Jr. believes in the importance of situational awareness in …