Home / NEWS / Budget / Message from Chancellor Huckaby

Message from Chancellor Huckaby

May 7, 2012

Message from Chancellor Huckaby:

Recently the leadership of Georgia Perimeter College informed the university system that it faced a significant budget shortfall in Fiscal Year 2012, which ends June 30, 2012.  Immediately upon learning of the shortfall, system fiscal and audit staff began working with GPC staff to determine the scope of the shortfall.  After several days of analysis, staff determined that the shortfall is around $16 million.

Prior to alerting the system office, GPC had already taken steps to control spending for the remainder of FY12.  These steps were expanded when the size of the shortfall was determined.  These steps include curtailing travel, cancelling various encumbrances and purchase orders, delaying hiring, and suspending contracts.  In addition the system will reallocate funds internally and will ensure that GPC will finish FY12 with a balanced budget.

GPC and system staff are preparing a plan to balance FY13 since the underlying shortfall will continue into next fiscal year.  Similar steps as those outlined above will be taken to reduce spending.  We do not know at this time precisely the impact in every budget area, but it will be significant and will likely impact personnel.  These actions are necessary to address a shortfall of this magnitude.  To be clear, tuition and fees will not be increased beyond what the Board of Regents already approved at its April board meeting.

In light of the need for a fresh approach, President Anthony Tricoli has stepped down.  Vice President of Academic Affairs Dr. Alan Jackson will serve as Acting President until I appoint an Interim President in a few days to move GPC past this difficult moment.  I want to thank President Tricoli for his dedication to GPC’s students and his leadership.  He will join the system office to assist with initiatives in distance education, adult degree completion, and learning support programs.

I have been on the GPC campuses many times.  GPC is a strong and vibrant college with much going for it.  It provides educational opportunities to thousands of Georgia students.  It is a wonderful institution and I know will remain so.  Our focus will be to continue the great work of GPC toward meeting its educational mission while ensuring its long-term financial stability.  I appreciate your dedication to GPC and your continued commitment as we address these challenges.  Please know that I am committed to GPC and its students, staff and faculty.

Thank you for your cooperation and your understanding.

Happy Trails: Tips for Traveling as a College Student

By Ruth Green One of the great things about being a student is the perks …