Almost 300 GPC employees fired due to budget deficit

By David Schick

“I deeply regret that 215 full-time GPC employees and 67 part-time GPC employees are being informed today that their employment with the college will be ending,” wrote Rob Watts, GPC’s interim president, today in an email to faculty and staff.

That is over 100 more employees than previously predicted in a budget outline plan by Watts on May 25.

According to Watts, personell costs represents more than 90% of the college’s expenditures and these cuts were necessary to bring the college’s budget back into balance from its $16 million deficit.

“Our first priority in making the reduction-in-force decisions was protecting classroom instruction for students,” wrote Watts as he explained that no tenure or tenure-track faculty members would be apart of the staff reductions.

In addition to the personell reductions, GPC will be closing a number of “internal institutes” to allow initiatives which focus more on the core teaching mission to continue.

“It will not be easy,” wrote Watts in regards to GPC now having to operate with significantly lower staffing levels. “Our goal is for these staff reductions to have the smallest possible effect on students.”

None of GPC’s five campuses will be closing as a result of the cuts and all five are currently preparing for the next generation of students this fall.

Pin It
loading comments...