Home / CULTURE / Dragon*Con: Day 0

Dragon*Con: Day 0

By David Schick

Photo by David Schick

It’s not every day that you get to see Storm Troopers, Ghostbusters, Waldo, or “Life” literally handing you lemons all in one place.

Dragon*Con, the annual sci-fi fantasy convention held in downtown Atlanta every Labor Day weekend, is the event that brings them all together under one roof. It’s a fantasy turned reality.

Several magnificent costumes, some hand-made, across many different genres were in full display tonight at Dragon*Con ground zero, the Marriot Marquis and Hyatt Regency hotels.

In the past, the Thursday night before the convention has traditionally been fairly low-key. Tonight, however, that was not the case. “Thursday night is the new Friday night,” many con-goers attested.

A statement completely apparent to anyone watching the boozed (among other things) crowd.

And let’s not forget the scantily-clad women. While nerds may be the main population, keep in mind that this entire event is basically a giant party from the hotel room to the street.

For those who have never experienced this awe-invoking event, it’s truly a sight to behold. And if you can’t afford a pass because you ran out of money buying textbooks for the fall semester, there will be a parade this Saturday at 10 a.m., and it’s free.

For more information, visit www.dragoncon.org.

Thumbnail Gallery: