Home / CULTURE / Things to do Labor Day weekend

Things to do Labor Day weekend

Dragon*Con

By Breanna Wimby

Courtesy Dragon*Con Photography (c) 2011 Dragon*Con

Boasting to be the “largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the universe,” Dragon*Con returns to Atlanta, Ga and will be held Labor Day weekend August 31 – September 3.

When asked what he thought about Dragon*Con, Perry Standride commented,”I think it’s awesome and you meet people who share common interests with you, and though I think ticket prices are high, it’s worth it.”

According to Dragon*Con’s website, due to recent events, they will be vigilantly enforcing their weapons policy, but not changing it.

For more information, including this year’s program, featured guests, and policies, go to Dragon*Con’s website.

Decatur Book Festival

By Erin Cotter

Don’t have any plans for Labor Day weekend yet?

If you’re interested in anything to do with writing, reading, poetry or publishing, head to downtown Decatur this weekend for the nations largest independent book festival.

The Decatur Book Festival got its start in 2006 and it is alive and kicking hard, bringing over 300 authors to Decatur over Labor Day weekend.

The best thing about this event, it’s completely free and open to the public, so anyone can get to hear authors give talks, readings and panel discussions.

This year at the DBF there will be specific tracks allowing festival goers to hone in on what they are really interested in.

If you’re a business major, there is a specific track on business related books just for you! If cooking is your thing, there will be authors giving inside hints on the best recipes out there and much more.

Also due to the recent interest in ‘going green,’ there will be a specific track just for the environmentally conscious people out there.

There will be musical performances throughout the weekend, with sounds that will be sure to bring pleasure to even the most discerning pairs of ears. For more information on music performances go to www.eddiesattic.com.

Be sure to attend this amazing event coming to Decatur this weekend, and for more information on the festival, authors, exhibits, readings and more go towww.decaturbookfestival.com.