Home / CULTURE / The Perks of Being a Wallflower movie review

The Perks of Being a Wallflower movie review

By Erin Cotter

The Collegian got a sneak preview of the new movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower, written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, being released in theaters this Friday, Sept. 28.

It is a fun, inspiring and lively coming of age “dramedy” (drama/comedy) starring Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller.

The movie follows a high school freshman, Charlie, played by Lerman, who navigates his way through the path of being a high school outcast. He discovers solace with his friendships of two seniors, Sam, played by Watson, and her step-brother Patrick, played by Miller.

Sam and Patrick take Charlie under their wing and include him in their merry band of misfits, with whom he finds strength and support.

Lerman’s acting skills are showcased with his portrayal of a young teen suffering from a past of psychological distress. Along the way Charlie learns that this eccentricities are nothing to hide.

Watson’s performance is fantastic throughout the movie. Through her character, she captivates the struggles of many high school seniors, including the romanticism of high school relationships and the anxiety about college admissions.

The movie also showcases other stars like Mae Whitman, who plays Mary Elizabeth, currently stars in the NBC series “Parenthood” and Nina Dobrev, from the CW’s “Vampire Diaries,” who plays Charlie’s older sister.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is not all “feel good.” It displays the “behind-closed-doors” conflicts teenagers face from sexuality, to mental health, to domestic abuse. Many college students will be able to relate to the character’s high school struggles and may even still be facing similar problems while in college.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is rated PG-13 and includes some minor drug use and sexual situations.